Friday, September 25, 2009

Madrid: Nostalgia

What a long and emotionally draining day.

It's hard to say goodbye to the friends you've made especially when you're returning to a now empty dorm room where only a bed away was a companion who helped to fill the silence with genuine warmth and friendship.

Sarah left earlier this morning and I spent a better part of the day pulling myself out of bed to manage a few things with my Train ticket issues and then went to see the Temple of Debod; which is an actual ancient Egyptian temple that was relocated to Madrid. Then I ambled off to a park that rivaled in size to that of Hyde Park in London - where I found a shady spot beneath a tall tree and rolled my maps out on the grass and slept like a bum.

The sun shone brightly and heat forced me to ignore my earlier encounter with the shorts insulted man and wear my favorite shorts to suit the dry Madrid heat - although, I kept a wary eye on any old folks who looked like they would be gunning for me.

I'm off to Granada tomorrow and I can't tell you how relieved I am to be moving on. I should've condensed my stay in Madrid to no more than 4 nights but due to some unforseen train issues (among all my other issues) I was forced to stay for 6 nights instead. So tonight I pack and with a relieved sigh I can dream some happy dreams of being one day closer to coming home?

Yes, I'm homesick. I want to come home and enjoy the first signs of Autumn. Although, I was blessed to see so many beautifully orange leafed covered trees, I'd still rather have seen it at home with a mug of coffee in hand and on my own porch. I thought about that all day as nostalgia hit me stronger than I expected. Autumn is my favorite time of the year for everything that it represents. I can't say enough about how much I love it. Not only do the trees turn to beautiful shades of yellow, orange, and red, but there is a slight crisp chill in the air. Halloween marks the start of many exciting holidays to come. Holidays that bring family and friends closer together in celebration of life, love, and happiness.

Soon, I'll be home to enjoy the festivities but for now, I will continue to try my damndest to stay grounded and think happy thoughts of the wonder that it is, that I am in SPAIN.

Miss you all!



Here's Sarah and me just before she packed up to head out to meet her tour group.



Visiting the Temple of Debod



One of Madrid's many monuments



Park



The marks of Autumn in Madrid



See me? I always gain a ton when I vacation.







Feeding the fishes



So many beautiful koi's. Amazing how many there were and all across the lake!



Oop...got a bit distracted. Lots of naked people around.



Isn't it strange how these birds sleep? I thought they were dead at first!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Shoot me a message below!

ShareThis