Wednesday, November 11, 2009

New Orleans & A Drugged out Toot Toot

Hi Everyone!
I know it's been some time since I've posted a blog and I thought with the trip to New Orleans happening tomorrow that I would give you an update on my writing.

As a motivational tool (and many thanks to Cela for this one) I've signed up for NaNoWriMo - which is National Novel Writing Month. For the month of November, which is 30 days, the goal is to write 50,000 words and/or finish your novel. Prior to starting, I had about 18,000 words already written but after a week of Nano, I quickly added another 10,000. Reazling then, that - Holy crap, this works! - I quickly hauled ass and drugged up my muse, aptly named Toot Toot, to help me to win Nano. Yes, it's an actual contest and having reached 42,000 words yesterday, I can't tell you how amazing it feels to have gotten this far. To complete my novel, it would probably take another 40,000 but I'm trying not to view it by numbers, rather, letting the story unfold and decide the proper length for itself.

A lot of people have asked me, "how are you writing your story?", "does it just pop out of your butt and you're basically winging it?, "what kind of techniques, other than praying every night and drugging up your muse do you do?", "what do you do when your muse slaps you in face and leaves you for being such a slave driver...what then?".

Well, there are a few. I bribe my muse with McDonald's and a reprieve from the writing by playing Micky D's Monopoly - Toot Toot hopes that maybe I'll just win a million dollars and never have to harass or abuse her again. Trust me, I pray for this too. In terms of techniques, I do just enough planning and writing a flexible outline to get the main scenes plotted out and to have a clear beginning, middle, and end. For the rest, I let it unfold as I sit staring at my laptop.

This is what I love the most about writing. Some days I get lucky sitting for 6 to 8 hours in front of my laptop and poop out 6,000 words a day and some days I get about 1,000 to 2,000 combined with a whole lot of tears and shouting, "Toot Toot, you make for a sucky muse sometimes! Why can't you be reliable huh? Micky D's cost money that we haven't made yet, you know." But that's the fun and joy of writing. It surprises even me and I can't tell you how much I love it - going back, rereading and laughing at my characters, excited to see where they turn up next.

My current novel falls under the genre of Chick Literature. There's so much humor in life and especially life as a woman, combined with offbeat family members, loyal and loving friends, the sometimes difficulty we face in the romance section, and the crap the fates likes to throw at us just to bring a little spice into our lives. Although, this is obviously not a new kind of story, my goal is to make people fall in love with the main character and to watch her grow, to laugh and to cry (because they're laughing even harder) and to root for her.

For those of you who know me, I'm not particularly funny in real life (har har) because I'm actually pretty shy and awkward sometimes. It's why I love to write because I get to express a side of myself that not many people get to see everyday.

Before I continue to get carried away, I just wanted to say thanks for reading! I'm headed to New Orleans tomorrow and I can't even begin to tell you all the things I have planned because I'd just be babbling. S'okay because I'm famous for babbling but not so good for a blog where the last thing I want is for people to start thinking about what to eat for lunch or whether they should clean up their dog's poop outside...yeah...I hope to make my blog worth reading and enjoying, not making you consider that now would be a great time to pick up your dogs poop.

So, I'll write back when I can and post some pictures of NoLa and after a bit of editing, perhaps post some pieces from the novel.

Au Revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Shoot me a message below!

ShareThis