Friday, November 12, 2010

Being Brave

I know...I know, where on earth have I been? Am I still even writing? Has my blog disappeared into the black void, never to be recalled or even remembered ever again?

It's been slightly over a year since I began this journey--and guess what? I'm still in it. My first novel was an amazing adventure in and of itself. I got to create an incredible world with fun characters and I was even brave enough to try and get representation for it.

But after a growing pile of letter after letter telling me, "No thanks", "Not right for me", "Good luck..." well, you get the picture. I decided that this particular novel, that caters to a smaller market, Chick Lit readers, which can sometimes be known as Irritating Lit--would have to wait to be placed in the hands of my readers. For some reason the idea that my first published novel would have been Chick Lit, had I gotten it published, was somewhat embarrassing... (I still love you Bridget Jones!)

It was back to the drawing board. So I rolled up my sleeves, threw the last crumpled, tear-filled tissues over my latest rejection, and picked up a notebook and began jotting down my recent interest--post-apocalyptic, dystopic society, with an unlikely hero. The wheels turned and my pen frantically scribbled across the pages as I began to create my new world.

So, here I am, nine chapters into my second biggest work ever...committing hundreds of hours and months after months of rehashing details, screaming at my computer, crying over spilled coffee, and dodging my very own gym where my brand new treadmill has collected a sad amount of dust...but I'm still at it.

There were so many lessons learned over my first work and I would do it all over again, if not for the sheer pleasure the adventure brought. My second work is benefiting from my having recently joined a writer's group in Willow Glen--where 5 of the most eccentric bunch have gathered to share their most intimate works, argue over coffee and danish, and where I'm learning to grow thicker skin. Because let's be honest, I'm a very sensitive soul...which really just means that I have a hard time with tough criticism (and not because I think I'm right and that you're wrong because I'm brilliant and you're just an idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about. It's not that at all!).

As for the traveling piece of what my blog had originally began as...well, imagine me smiling as I tell you that it's definitely not over yet...

-------------

Inspirational quote of the day, "If we want to make a difference in the world, we must take risks, and loving something is enough reason to do it..." - Gloria Kempton, Writer's Digest

A special thanks to everyone who believes so much in me...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Shoot me a message below!

ShareThis