Sunday, November 27, 2011

Words of Wisdom: Storyteller


Today's words of wisdom: 
"Keep working. Keep trying. Keep believing. You still might not make it, but at least you gave it your best shot. If you don't have calluses on your soul, this isn't for you. Take up knitting instead."--Author David Eddings


I'm subscribed to Writer's Digest. If you're a beginning novelist/writer, you should be too. It's an amazing motivational tool; a great opportunity to escape from your current work and soak up some quick lessons, and learn more about the publishing industry. 

I keep reading over and over again about the hard journey of many authors to publication. My dream began in the winter of 2008, when I wrote my first fiction novel in the small quarters of my bedroom, on nothing but a tray table and an unquenchable desire to put into paper the world I'd been dreaming of. One and a half months later, a final chapter set of completing the manuscript, I was staring at a word count of over 100,000. I couldn't believe it. Except it was never finished. I didn't know how to finish it without fearing that it would suck. But the seed had been planted. 

I spent the following year writing on another work of fiction--even did something crazy, like quit my job and traveled across the world--totally alone. But I'd done it. This time I finished the story. I queried agents, waited, queried some more, waited. Nothing. I wasn't ready for publication. The work wasn't at its best. I hadn't reached my best. I needed more practice. 

It was back to the drawing board. I got even more serious. Soaked up every writing tip I could, joined a Writer's Group, bought books like "The Idiot's Guide to Writing a Novel", and "Thanks But This Isn't For Us" all to make sure that this time I'd be ready to write my best. I knew I had the perseverance to write novel length works, but I had to hone my skills in the art of storytelling. To someone who was always told, "You write so well," and "That was good, real good work," it was hard for me to swallow the reality that I was good, but not good enough. But I'm still here, still trying. And at the end of the day, that's half the battle. 

VIOLET STORM is my third completed novel. I'm working on my fourth as I wait for it to be professional edited. In my heart of hearts, I know all of the hard work will pay off. Regardless of how long this journey might take, I hold onto the hope that I'll see my works published someday. If not the traditional route, then via self-publishing. 

The quote above is from the January 2012 WD issue and it put me into a fit of laughter until I was tearing up, stupidly sad and yet relieved at the same time. I don't know how many hundreds of hours I've poured into my writing "hobby". I'm  not used to working so hard at something and not seeing any "payoff". But I was wrong to think that way. Although, the stories I've created may not be the next ground-breaking American novel, they were incredible to watch rise out of nothing. My own world, envisioned and bound only by the limits of my creativity.

Today's another day to keep hoping, to keep working until I reach my goal. To quote The Ultimate Warrior, "Wake up sleeping beauties...Today is the day to take on any challenge that lies in this day...Today is the day you build your own wall of bodies..."


Well said, sir. Well said. It's easy to throw in the towel. It's much harder to keep going--to keep doing something that may take years to see come to fruition. Every day is a challenge to keep on working to make this dream come true, but every day is also a new day to work on making it come true.

I'm sure you can guess that I didn't find this motivational video by the Ultimate Warrior on my own. That's all Chris. The motivational stuff starts 0:47 seconds in. Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY8-746t3YI

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Shoot me a message below!

ShareThis