Saturday, February 11, 2012

Fight, Love, Live--And Then Write About It: Give What's Inside You

I read a twitter post from a renowned Writer's Digest contributer stating that passion is overrated (and instead thinking about what you want to contribute). I couldn't remember what came after "passion  is overrated" because I was so bothered by that line alone. I thought: we can write about passion, but we can't expect it of ourselves, because why? Because it's a fancy idea, and it's not for the common man? That it's reserved only for fiction?

I was so annoyed thinking about how ridiculous this was. If I'm expected to convince readers to feel passion in my work then I think it's only fair to ask of it from ourselves--from the world around us. Many things motivate me to write. is passion one of them? Hell yes...

Okay, so that's what I thought. But then I went back to the twitter post, clicked on the article and got slapped in the face with the true point of the statement, and that was: realizing that what you can contribute is as unique as you are, and that it is something that no one else can offer but you. And that you have a job to get whatever it is in you, out. It was about not being bogged down with the idea of doing something we were passionate about (and the stress of trying to figure out what that is), but that you should focus on what you can contribute instead.

Todd Henry, author of the article Reluctant But Resolved: A Challenge to Die Empty put it into perspective the way I haven't thought of before. And it's something you need to know.
Talk about a question to live by: When I lay my head down tonight, would I be satisfied with the work I did today? Something worthy of asking ourselves before the day begins, and not after. Then you have the entirety of day to ensure you'll lie down with a proud grin and a nod well done for your hard day's labor.

Todd was looking at passion as not something to be driven to do anything by, but of seeing ourselves as having actual value--and that should be what drives us. A picture made clearer with construct. Passion is not the propeller, we are the propeller--what greatness we can give of ourselves. I'm smirking right now, glad that I read the article, having a newfound appreciation for myself and not sinking into my hand-dug grave blathering on about why some people had the nerve to think passion was overrated...


Photo Above: I spent the week in the east coast, Ithaca, NY, and then Boston, MA. That's my co-worker and good friend, Meagan Shannon (left) and me on the right; having lunch and saying farewell to an amazing visit. 


Photo Above: Received my first copy of The Writer with a special supplement, Get Published. I'm subscribed to Writer's Digest, but The Writer was providing a free trial offer that I couldn't pass up.

Thanks for reading! (And please add yourself as a Follower!)

Yours, 
Anna 


2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great way to think about things. And I think its absolutely true, we do all have something unique in us, some special intrinsic value and perspective, that really does help other people put their world into perspective when we let it out. And its the same the other way around too. This is why art (all kinds) is so crucial.

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah,

      Thank you for the comment, and so true! Just added myself as a follower to your awesome blog! :)
      Grateful for the new connection.

      Cheers,
      Anna

      Delete

I love comments! Shoot me a message below!

ShareThis