Tuesday, February 21, 2012

If You Wish - Guest: Price Smith

Today we connect with my colleague and personal friend, Price Smith, who discusses Social Media, and how it is interwoven into her professional and personal pursuits!

*     *     *

Price Smith

Hello everyone!

My name is Price Smith, and I am the Social Recruiting Community Manager at VMware. You might be asking yourself two questions as you read these words. One being, “What is a ‘Social Recruiting Community Manager’?” and two, “What is VMware?”. If you already know the answers to these questions then a gold star in a stamped envelope is already in the mail on its way to you. If you do not happen to know the answers to these questions then no worries at all. Founded in 1998, VMware is a global technology company headquartered in Silicon Valley (Palo Alto, California) that specializes in virtualization and cloud infrastructure. 

As the Social Recruiting Community Manager for VMware, I manage the VMware Careers and VMware University Relations social sites. In lamens terms, I dabble in all things social media for work. Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, YouTube, Google+, Livestream, and Instagram; you name it and we are most likely there. On any given day I am in these communities engaging with people and collaborating on content with co-workers to share on these sites to tell the story of work-life at VMware. I see my role as the listener, connector, and content sharer. These social communities allow individuals outside of the company the opportunity to experience and connect with our employees’ stories. I greatly enjoy having a career in social media just for this reason.

Social media allows individuals who might have never had the opportunity to connect, connect. It is a platform for people to share their thoughts and ideas, and to engage with others on similar topics. You have the opportunity to “follow” people in these social communities no matter their race, location, career, or social class, and it is socially acceptable. You don’t event necessarily have to know them. How cool is that?

Outside of my professional career, I use social media to discover and express my personal interests. As I take each step on this journey of life that we are all currently enjoying, I write, photograph, and musically share (YouTube rocks!) my current pursuits in life on my blog, The Pursuits of Price. Not only did social media help me land my job at VMware (I applied to my job via Facebook), but I have and continue to use social platforms to connect with people who have careers or personal interests that I am interested in learning more about. Twitter is such a great tool to connect in this way! With 140 characters in a tweet I have scheduled informational interviews to learn from people I admire, life’s events that are taking place as we speak no matter the location are brought to my attention, and I myself have had the opportunity to share my thoughts on life.

I do not believe that there is one right way to utilize social media platforms. If you are new to it all, just take it one step at a time. Think about what you are hoping to gain from the experience, and then try to make those hopes into a reality. Building a following and connecting with a large group of people takes time, but it only has to start with one individual. How do you see social media aiding you in your life?

Following my pursuits,

Price Smith

*Connect and Follow Price on her Pursuits!
**Like this blog? Follow me!



2 comments:

I love comments! Shoot me a message below!

ShareThis