Friday, April 13, 2012

Road Trip Across the U.S.A.



Have you ever gone on a lengthy road trip? I have backpacked across Spain for an entire month, done small stints here and there around the U.K. and the U.S., and have even gone on a Caribbean cruise. I have lived in Switzerland, and spent every weekend visiting nearby European countries. Currently, I travel across the U.S. for work to a tune of three to six months out of a year. But I have never done a road trip of this scale.

In this two week adventure, Chris and I will be driving from San Jose, CA to end up in New York, NY (flying back home after spending a couple days in the Big Apple). Unlike a lot of our other shotgun style trips, we hope this one will be relaxing (yeah…we’ll see about that). Finding peace in the long drives, meeting unforgettable locals, and embarking on quiet explorations of some the most incredible sights and landmarks that symbolize the spirit of the U.S. Nothing but the company of my best friend as we drive across some of God’s loneliest roads.

I hope the trip will inspire some amazing stories. 

What are you favorite road trip moments? Got any tips for a newbie road tripper?


4 comments:

  1. You are going to have a blast. One of my favorite road trips took us from the east Texas coast straight north then turned west until we hit the other coast. It was a great trip--despite losing the transmission after Pike's Peak. (but that's another story)

    The only thing I recommend is not to pack too many clothes. Just take washable, carefree things and visit the occasional launder mat when it's time to wash. How long will you be on the road?

    Oh, and if you're traveling through New Mexico or west Texas, you might want to take some CDs with you because sometimes you lose radio reception in the big rock areas.

    Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria! Sounds like you had a very memorable road trip :) Great tips on bringing CD's or other modes of listening to music. I also quite like the idea that we won't have access to the internet either! LOL

      Good tips on packing light. I have a problem with overpacking, but you bring up a good point in stopping at launder mat!

      Cheers,
      Anna

      Delete
  2. Anna - There's something about road trips across the US that inspires the words to burst right out of us. In fact, I was going to blog about that very thing very soon. I have lived in the West my whole life, and the landscape here is wondrous and sublime, with a variety of scenery from state to state. When I was younger, my family made a two day road trip from Phoenix, AZ to a few small towns in Montana. Years later those road trips inspired me to write my first novel that takes place, you guessed it, on the road from Phoenix to Montana. Who knows, maybe you'll find your next novel from Texas to New York. Bon Voyage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joseph! We will be cutting through what is called "America's Loneliest Road", at least, according to my travel book. LOL We will cut through Nevada's Pony Trail Express, then up north to Yellowstone, where we will pass through Mt. Rushmore, a Field of Dreams, and good ole' Chicago, Cleveland, and then Niagra Falls. I'm really hoping we can make it ten days!

      Sounds like your road trip made a fantastic impact on your writing, and I truly hope to get the same experience in this trip. Talk soon!

      Cheers,
      Anna

      Delete

I love comments! Shoot me a message below!

ShareThis