Monday, April 2, 2012

Writer Hermit Syndrome


How are you balancing your online presence and your writing?

One thing I have learned for certain, it is not easy.

The most dangerous limits are those in your own head.
I am currently plagued by the writer hermit syndrome. Hence my recent and abrupt MIA status.

Thankfully, it is as easy as it is difficult to fall off the face of the earth (if you are me). The wide variety of mobile devices and abundant WiFI so readily available, make checking your “online life” much too convenient—and too tempting to check all the time. Did I mention, slightly addictive? And at one point I was considering accidentally dropping my iPhone in the toilet just to escape the compulsions.

Before blogging, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest mobile apps, life seemed so much simpler. And one thing was for certain, it was eating up too much of my writing time. Does this sound familiar? *Sly grin*

So I have gone into a semi-hidden online state. And refocused. My second draft of VIOLET STORM is back from my editor, and it is just what I needed to add some fuel to the writing fire. WHITE AS SNOW is going through a world concept review, thanks to some intriguing questions I received from my writers group (I should have those chapters back up in no time!).

What are you currently working on? And how are you balancing social media and writing? 


12 comments:

  1. HA! It's not social media, it's the teenager in the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I can understand that. I was quite the handful myself, just ask my mother. ;)
      Lock yourself in a room, or run away to the nearest cafe!

      Delete
  2. Anna, this whole "online presence" requirement has me baffled. Essential, addictive, time-killing, and fun, but not as nourishing as writing. In fact, should we even consider it to be part of the writing regiment that we should be doing every day (ha) to improve our craft? A playwright friend of mine told me he learned to write prose on his blog. Really? I'm not sure if it has helped me at all.

    Currently, I'm preparing a manuscript of my first novel to be self-published as an e-book and a POD book, with the plan of finding an agent and a publisher before I shuffle off this mortal coil. If you would have told me last year at this time that I would have been an author and a blogger, I would have given you this look :? But here I am, networking. I spend more time thinking about that than plotting out the sequel.

    Best of luck with White as Snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joseph, you are absolutely right. Blogging etc. has me feeling unnecessary pressure. Writing is difficult enough as it is, and all of these other outlets seem to add another level of challenge that can potentially hurt our progress.

      Good luck on the manuscript! Looking forward to hearing more about it. If you're interested in a development editor to help you prep the work, I found Susan Malone via Writer's Digest. She's been helping me with VIOLET STORM. Great work so far. Also heard about an online critique group called Critique Circle. I created a profile, but haven't submitted yet. You can check it out at critiquecircle.com.

      I'm excited about White as Snow, definitely get that feeling of "nourishment" on this new project. :)

      Cheers,
      Anna

      Delete
    2. BTW, what is your blog link? Would love to follow.

      Delete
    3. It's at www.thecrossovertest.com. I welcome all your feedback to the site, which has been up for about three weeks. We already have 7-8 friends.

      I will be looking into the Critique Circle. I have not been able to find many critique groups here in Phoenix. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. BTW - I hope you don't mind that I listed this blog.

      Delete
    6. Great start on your blog! I am definitely honored to be listed in it!!
      Thank you :)

      As for the writer's groups, I found a few you can look at on Meetup.com (near you!). http://writers-group.meetup.com/cities/us/az/phoenix/

      Cheers,
      Anna

      Delete
    7. Thanks for all your help!

      Delete
  3. I often call myself the Happy Hermit and have to remind myself that my writing will be enriched by coming out of my self-imposed hole from time-to-time. It is a balancing act at times, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that: "Happy Hermit." It is most certainly a balancing act.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Cheers,
      Anna

      Delete

I love comments! Shoot me a message below!

ShareThis