Sunday, December 30, 2012

Is Writing Your Purpose?


Today is a day of reflection and contemplation. A new year awaits all of us and as 2012 concludes we must think back on the challenges we've faced (whether we've overcome them or are still in the midst of the battle), and what we dream to make happen in the new year ahead of us.

Through my own personal trials, I found myself returning to church to seek answers, to find support and a sense of community, and yes, I returned especially to find refuge. If there has been anything that has successfully breathed life back into my soul, anchored my spirit, lifted my chin, and dried my tears, it is the overwhelming comfort of my newly discovered spirituality.

Today's sermon hit me square in the chest, causing my heart to race as if it had been reawakened. And I heard once again a  deep calling, so real it was as if it grasped the sides of my face and stared me hard in the eyes, unwilling to release me. The purpose of life is perhaps to discover what we are meant to do. I believe that we are all gifted, created to serve and better our community in some shape or form.  I knew many years ago that my gift was the gift of writing; telling stories in a way that was unique and rare.

You too have a gift. But understand that whatever it is, it won't be easy. It will be challenging and it will be difficult. However, it will fulfill and satisfy on a level that no other work you've ever done has.

Despite appearances, writing is not a simple art. Gifted or not, being creative day in and day out isn't easy. Some days it comes out like a tub of honey tipped over, pouring as if unstoppable until the tub is completely empty. And when those days come, when your work is "finished", you are filled with so much joy you can't begin to fathom that such beauty and art actually came from you. Someday when you're ready, you'll share your work with others, and it will touch them as deeply as it had touched you.

My fellow writers, readers, and friends, make 2013 your year to fulfill your purpose. I certainly aim to do just that...


In the words of Pastor Chip Ingram, "You are not what you do, but that you do what you are."


So do what you are and hold steady your faith. 
~Anna





2 comments:

  1. Oh how your post touches my heart. I'm right there with you! This has been a big year of changes for us. My husband, a minister actually for over 22 years, is stepping down from his senior pastor role and heading into a new career in higher education. I'm excited. The "PW" role has always been a bit like an ill-fitting shoe for me. But in the meantime, I'm also feeling like I need to step out on faith, try new forms and avenues of writing. It's scary to free fall back into his arms and trust that he's not going to let me fall flat. But like you, I believe we have a purpose in life and must find that. I can't wait to see where we go this year. And I'm so glad I'm not in this journey alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie,

      Wow, I've learned even more about you and it warms my heart. Twenty-two years is a long time. Change is good and I'm sure your husband heard his calling and knew when the time was right to make it happen. I am always amazed by the wisdom from the many pastor's I've had the chance to hear from. They clearly have God-born talent to know just what to say to motivate, energize, and heal you as if despite the many others in the church, the message they speak is just for you and you alone. (At least that's happened to me on numerous occasions!)

      When we recognize a role that is "ill-fitting" I think that is the first step to beginning the journey to discover what it may be that will "fit". And there is no such thing as a timeline. It comes when it's meant to come--which is something I'm just now learning. I too am so thankful to know that you and I are going on a similar journey, and taking a leap of faith together. May 2013 be our year! :)

      Have a blessed New Years!
      ~Anna

      Delete

I love comments! Shoot me a message below!

ShareThis