Sunday, July 7, 2013

Road Trip: Monterey, CA

Hello readers!

I'm embarking on another solo trip--a much needed writers retreat. This time I'm taking a road trip down to SoCal and taking the scenic drive down Highway 1.

First stop on this four day road trip is Monterey, CA.

My mom calls me on the drive. I have so much to tell her! But first, I let her talk for ten minutes with barely a pause for breath, because let's be honest, nine times out of ten when my mom calls it's not a therapy session...for me at least.

Finally, I interrupt with, "Hey mom, so...I'm going on a road trip!"
Mom: "Oh yeah? When? Where?"
Me: "Now...to Monterey, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and L.A. I'm going to meet up with Princess." (Princess is a childhood, family friend, not to be mistaken with the Disney Princesses. Cus' that would just make me sound crazy...)
Mom: "Oh that's good! When are you going?" she repeats, shouting over the noise of the car.

I'm on the windy roads of route 17 leading me to Santa Cruz which is making my heart dance like I'm running a marathon loaded up on sugar. With my mom shouting on the speakerphone, I'm more than a little tense.

So I shout back, "Now! I'm driving now. I'm going by myself. So anyway, if you don't hear from me, you can text me or call me. You know...make sure I'm still alive."
She laughs. "That's good, anak,"she says. (anak means "my child" in tagalog) "But you'll be just fine. You always are."

I smile at the last. My family and my friends are no longer surprised by my random, spontaneous solo trips. I'll never forget being twenty-three and announcing to everyone that I was going to Greece for two weeks...by myself. I know now, it's a little odd. I don't know many others who go on vacation by themselves. I guess I've never really seen it as going alone, because I was willing and happy to go with myself. :) I don't feel that it has anything to do with bravery. Honestly, I think it's pretty common for writers to be so comfortable in solitude, and to seek it out as often as possible. I've got too much of an adventurous spirit, not to be deterred exploring the world because I don't have a companion who can take the journey with me. 

So here I am, on my first stop of the trek. Sitting in a quaint cafe in Pacific Grove, called Crema. I love it for the fact that I have the option to drink. Liquor that is. You know...in case coffee isn't enough to lure my jerk-muse back.

Sunset is at 8:30pm and I plan on settling somewhere on the beach to catch a glimpse of it. 

My goal for this trip is to get the chance to recharge, hunt down my muse, and get his ass back to work. Here are some photos I've taken so far. (More to come!)

Today's Road Trip Tunes provided by:
~Imagine Dragons
~Matt Kearney
~Alex Clare
~Mumford & Sons

I was torn between spending time writing here at The Works, or at Crema. Decided on Crema because I figure I could use liquor to lure my muse back.

Quaint. That about defines this place.

Lighthouse Street is lined with beautiful old Victorians.

So festive.

So bummed that this store was closed! :(

Crema is a multi-story cafe and wine bar. I decided to sit right on the other side of this window.

Add caption

More seating at Crema

Wish me luck! I'll see you soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Shoot me a message below!

ShareThis