Monday, February 17, 2014

Unstuck Creative Hump: Dolls, Dolls, Dolls

With a majority of the planning running smoothly for Violet Storm's release in late March, I've begun to focus on completing my next story, Snow Dolls, which I hope to launch in September 2014.

I do various exercises to inspire my muse. One of the easiest for me, is using powerful images. Seems to get my muse the jolt it needs to find its way to my consciousness. 

I stumbled across Hiritai.DeviantArt.com. Hiritai has photographs of some of the most captivating dolls I've ever seen. If dolls could look so real as to be animate, they would look like his dolls. Hiritai has captured the moment just before they're about to smile, look up at you, or wink "hello". There is an anime quality to them that I'm a big fan of.

I grew up watching a lot of cartoons (I read a lot too, but not much until my late high school years). Some of which included anime, mostly Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, and other titles like Project A-Ko, Akira, Ghost in a Shell, and a few others. I would say that anime absolutely influenced my budding creative mind.  In fact, it took it to a whole new level. Anime has inspired parts of my work and I turn to it when I'm feeling uncreative, and needing help to envision the world I'm trying hard to create.

I still watch anime today. Some of the new concepts I'm seeing, validate just how limitless the creators imaginations are. I'm always on the hunt for good, visually compelling stories.

Tonight I looked for images and inspiration to help me contextualize the world of Snow Dolls. I got to looking at Japanese dolls, and next thing you know, I've stumbled on Hiritai's website. Below are some cool images that made my jaw drop.

Image by Hiritai at Hiritai.deviantart.com



Yep...that's a DOLL. Image by Hiritai at Hiritai.deviantart.com



Image by Hiritai at Hiritai.deviantart.com




2 comments:

  1. Wow, those are crazy amazing!! Definitely a step up from the few porcelain dolls I has a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Leandra, don't they look like they'd be fun to play with? I can just imagine my younger self going..."Ooooh pretty..." Okay, okay, my "old" self says the same thing. :)

      Delete

I love comments! Shoot me a message below!

ShareThis