Friday, March 21, 2014

Cover Release of VIOLET STORM! And Cover Lessons Learned.

I had it in my heart to have the cover for VIOLET STORM finished early last week After working with my artist (who is my wonderful boyfriend--lucky me, right?), and my graphic designer, Jason, we were able to bring to life the story that had been imprisoned in my computer for years.

Round 1:
The art was breathtaking to say the least. The amount of hours, careful precision, and meticulousness befitting an experienced artist, brought to life the vision of the world that had been trapped in my head for years. (That makes me sound awfully crazy, but you know what I mean.)

Below is the first round of VIOLET STORM's cover. But something didn't feel right...

Copyright: Cover art by Kyle Van Meurs, Cover Design by Jason Rought

I was hesitant to believe that a random person who stumbled on the book would get a true idea of what sort of story lay within. I was so terrified that I felt as if it were a sign that I was ridiculous for thinking I could publish this book. For thinking that I could actually pursue this dream. And that in fact, I might be a little delusional. The critic in me flared to life. It chewed me up, spit me out, and sneered at me.

And then I told it to shut up. I cocked my arm and gave it a good swing right in the mouth. I broke down with nervous anxiety, cried all my fears out, and soon after, my boyfriend chased the demons away. And I must add that my close friends had a hand in keeping those demons from coming back. I had a long talk with Kyle and Jason, and we all agreed to try again.

Round 2:
Here were the questions we asked and wanted to make sure the new cover answered:
  1. What is the genre of the novel?  
  2. Who is my audience? (Age group, demographic)
  3. What would their taste be? 
  4. How much time did we have before the deadline and what kind of art did we have time for? Illustrations, drawn by hand would simply be too time-consuming. Realistic illustrations, using photographs on the other hand would take much less time.
  5. How detrimental is the release date?
After we brainstormed on those questions, we got back to work. 

And here's what we came up with. I am so excited to reveal this cover. It undoubtedly represents the essence of the story, and is full of intrigue that is sure to captivate.

Click here to read the book description


Copyright: Cover art by Kyle Van Meurs,  Cover Design by Jason Rought

Copyright: Cover art by Kyle Van Meurs,  Cover Design by Jason Rought


Come back next week and celebrate with me!
VIOLET STORM releases
Friday, March 28th 
Don't miss out on a chance to win a $25 Amazon gift card and a signed copy of the book along with an exclusive promotion card of VIOLET STORM!
  
VIOLET STORM will be available in paperback and digital copies (Amazon, Kindle, Nook, iTunes, GooglePlay, Scribd)
Enter your email address to get alerts on the book release (see right column for a text box to enter) or contact me directly by clicking here.


**To my fellow bloggers, because I'm too shy to ask, if you would be interested and available to host me on your blog for the book release, I would be most appreciative. :) To thank you for your generosity and support, I'd love to give you a signed copy of the book along with an exclusive promotion card (please note that it may take up to two weeks after the release for you to receive the copy). Just leave a comment below or send me a message directly here.

Finally, here's a fun teaser to an author interview my talented friend, Anthony Lew is working on:




Like the cover? Like the video? All of the folks I'm working with are currently updating their personal websites. So I'll be sure to alert you as soon as they're ready, so you can reach out directly should you be interested in their services.
*Cover Art by Kyle Van Meurs
*Cover Design by Jason Rought
*Videography and Photography by Anthony Lew





27 comments:

  1. This fits much better with your genre and vision. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria! :) It's been a while, hope all is well!

      Delete
  2. All I feel like I can say is... OH WOW!! Anna, you and your creative team are amazing. That cover is professional and intriguing. You look at her face and see a combination of fierceness and vulnerability (oh my, who does that remind me of....???). I don't know how you all captured those two emotions, but it is done well. YAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie! :) I'm so glad you like it!

      Delete
  3. Ooooh! Well done on keeping the faith, Anna. I'll be looking forward to checking out your book on the 28th :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shay! :) It's been a tough journey, but well worth all the lessons learned.

      Delete
  4. Oh WOW that is an amazing cover! I love it! And I'd love to help with your release--just shoot me an email!! mhouston (at) meradethhouston (dot) com (<--I'm fairly certain spelling that out does nothing, but it's just habit... :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU, Meradeth! I'm definitely taking you up on that offer. :) Will email you shortly! xo

      Delete
  5. It's sad to say how bad I am about consulting my reader, but if you post a link on FB and I see it, I'm there! And I'm glad I saw this today, Anne. 'Tis quite beautiful! Striking colors that draw the reader in, an intriguing girl with a hungry look. She looks to be a wolf amongst the flock. Perfect. And I'm all about perfect. Congrats! What an awesome team the three of you make.

    M.L. Swift, Writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael! The girl definitely has a look about her that you just have to ask...what lies beneath? It was certainly a labor of love! :)

      Delete
  6. Nicely done. Oh, and I'm sure my blog can weather a violet storm. Just yell. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeff! I think Aeva and I will take you up on that challenge ;) Very to make an appearance on your blog (dancing from foot to foot)!

      Delete
  7. The first was really good, but the second one...even better! And I always like how it looks when the author's name is at the top. The video was so fun and cute. Good job to everyone! And I will be happy to host you on the 28th! I'll send you a message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leandra! Just saw your email :) and I love your ideas! I will compile something and get your thoughts on it sometime in the next day or so!

      Delete
  8. The violet is so striking! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth! It's one of my favorite colors. :)

      Delete
  9. Anna, I LOVE the cover! Your instincts were right on, so don't doubt them!!! The first one was beautiful, but this one is STRIKING. And intriguing. It's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! :) She definitely captivates.

      Delete
  10. Yup. Good call. That second cover is epic. Oh, and I'm booked out a ways, but I'd absolutely love to have you for a Writerly Wednesday on June 11. Shoot me an email and I'll get you the details. crystal AT crystal-collier DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Crystal! I'll send you an email shortly! :)

      Delete
  11. Pretty cover. I love the color!!! But the second one really jumps out at you. I do a lot of content writing and often they require images with my articles. I've been told to focus on images with people because they sell content better. I think it's the same for books. It humanizes the story and pulls people in somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie! I absolutely agree with you in that the image does so much to sell the content. I'm incredibly visual which I suspect most people are, and there are just images you can sense to work better with certain types of works than others. :)

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic! You were right to go with the second cover. It has a much more powerful impact than the first one. I literally said, "Wow," when I first saw your cover on Julie Luek's blog. Nice job. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Shoot me a message below!

ShareThis