Friday, March 7, 2014

Tahoe Cabin Madness

Last weekend, Kyle and I, and a couple of Kyle's good friends went to South Lake Tahoe for some relaxation and a little fun in the snow.

We left early on Friday, the three of us: Kyle, Greg, and I in a tiny all-wheel-drive Subaru, arriving just in time for the snowstorm in the early evening. The drive wasn't too bad up until the last half  mile to the cabin. Cars can be a scary thing especially when one loses control of it. A little too fast on a turn and we found ourselves losing traction on the icy road, holding our breaths, clenching our butts, and going eeeeee. Lucky for us, we hit a fluffy snow bank instead of other more devastating possibilities: like another car, a ditch, or even a tree. Someone was looking out for us, and we couldn't have been more thankful.

We all made it in one piece. The second we stepped into the cabin, all memories of the scary drive were forgotten and we oooh'd and ahhh'd at the luxury before us. With a pool table, hot tub, expansive great room, four bedrooms, and any other amenity we could have needed, the cabin was a dream.

We had a great group. With Sarah and Chris' food and snacks galore, Kyle's boardgames, Bryan's snow sculpting skills, Greg's endless music supply, and everyone's meal and alcohol contribution, it was going to be a weekend we would not soon forget.

I had the misfortune of starting the first night off with a damn good margarita. Margaritas and I...we have a thing. I even live with a Margarita, seriously, she's my cousin. So...I had mixed some tequila and a margarita mix for flavor, threw in some snow for a slushier consistency and next thing you know, I'm drinking them by the cups like a parched camel in the desert. I had three. Three isn't so bad. If you were a normal sized person... By the end of the third, I might as well have drank a tub because I wouldn't have known the difference.

One massive hangover later, a fitful night's rest, and I never hated margarita's more. Of all the trouble it had gotten me over the years, this was the first time we hadn't seen eye-to-eye. It wasn't until the next day when Chris asked, "Did you know there was alcohol in the margarita mix?"

….?

No.

I hadn't known. I hadn't known that I'd added an extra double shot of silver tequila into a margarita mix that already had a hefty dose of gold tequila. Who does that? Who makes margarita mix with alcohol already in it?? Damnit Costco!

I had drank the equivalent of nine tequila shots.

Oops. I did it. Again. And I found myself crawling into bed at 9:30pm. Well then.

That was the last of my alcohol intake for the rest of the weekend.

Sans margaritas, it was such a blast. We spent Saturday playing board games, opting to stay in and enjoy the cabin and the surrounding neighborhood. We got to play Settlers of Catan and Betrayal. All of us playing like we had something to lose. The term "friend" thrown out the window like a heart left to freeze in the snow. Play a strategy game and hidden claws come out, and you find out which one of you in the group (if not all) is Wolverine in disguise. They got me to curse…a lot. But by the end of the game it felt good.

The boys got to play in the hot tub...us girls didn't join in the fun...because eww boys in the tub...? Duh. JK. I was passed out from the margaritas and Wolverine scratches, so no hot tub for me.

Here are some photos of the weekend. Too bad I didn't get a photo of the entire group or of the intense yet super fun board games. Maybe next time. :)

I'd love to spend a few winter weeks in this cabin to write!

Tall trees, fake reindeer, and fluffy snow. What a winter wonderland.

Here's me getting some snow for the margaritas of doom...

Pool anyone?

Bryan putting the finishing touches on Karl and I'm helping to build Karl's companion, Looksie.

Everyone, checking out Looksie's backside...

Tada! Karl and Looksie.



 xoxo,





6 comments:

  1. Oh so fun-- those photos are gorgeous! Enviable. O.K., so Anna, not too long ago I too had a run-in with one too many margaritas. I danced in my kitchen (and that isn't pretty, even sober) and slept terribly. I didn't feel too great the next morning either. Sigh. I'm getting way too old for that kind of foolery! Glad you had fun (and stayed safe!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Julie, it sounds like we both have to watch out for margaritas…And dancing liquored up or otherwise is always a great idea ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a pretty view from the cabin. Glad you had a great time, and I agree- to have time to write there would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Leandra! Sounds like the perfect writer's retreat doesn't it? :)

      Delete
  3. Looks like a really fun trip! I so do miss Tahoe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had been a long time since my last visit! So glad that I could visit to enjoy the snow. Mostly, I'm up there in the summers. :)

      Delete

I love comments! Shoot me a message below!

ShareThis