It's been a little over three weeks since the official launch of my debut novel, Violet Storm. As I look back during those first few weeks prior to launch and just how much work there was in getting the novel print-ready, there were certainly lessons that I wish I could have known. Even if some of them were just reassurances. Something to ease the stress and allow me to enjoy the process a whole lot more.
Here are 7 lessons from a first-time self-published author:
- Cover Art: Start early. I'm talking at least two months before launch. Give the artist and the cover designer enough time to create your vision. It's unlikely that everyone will get it right the first round. One, two, maybe even three iterations might be needed. Save yourself the stress and start early!
- Systems: Learn the basics of the systems you'll be using to publish your book, and don't be afraid to publish your work early to meet your deadline. Here were the timelines I experienced:
- CreateSpace (Paperback): Immediately
- Kindle: 12 Hours
- Nook: 12-24 Hours
- GooglePlay: 1-2 Days
- Amazon (Paperback): 1-3 Days (by the 3rd day, all the links to everything--paperback and ebook, author profile--started working)
- iTunes: 1 Week
- Editor: $1500 - $3200
- Proofreader: $200 - $300
- Promotional cards (which I found more relevant than business cards): $75
- Cover Art: $150 - $300
- 10 ISBNs: $250 (if you plan on writing several books, I'd recommend purchasing a pack of 10, rather than individual ISBN's)
- Paperback Proofs: $20 - $80 (depending on how many proofs you get)
- Raffle prizes: $25 - $75
- Paperback copies for you to personally sell: $450 - $650 (depending on how many books your purchase, the estimate is for 100 copies, plus taxes and S&H)
- Advertising: $30 - $100 (Facebook, Goodreads, Google Ads)
- Book Launch Party: $50 - $300
- Square: 2.75% (for swiped transactions), 3.5%+15 cents (for manually entered transactions) - (also allows for you to set up an online store to collect and process online orders for paperbacks)
- Gumroad: 5% (easy for your customers to pay and download your ebook--which Square does not do--and allows for you to collect and process orders for paperbacks).
**Have anything to add? Post it on the comments below!
A champion athlete with all the skills of a fighter, augmented to become a weapon that will change the fate of our world.
A brilliant surgeon known for his invention of Modi’s—the only cure for a fatal disease running rampant in the City of Light—has gone rogue with his experiments, and the Monarchy is desperate to shut him down. That's where Aeva Storm comes in, a champion athlete with an ego to match. Aeva is the surgeon's secret weapon against the Monarchy. After reconstructing her body to become a Modi unlike any he's ever created, Aeva is forced into a fight against all odds. She'll have to break loyalties, hurt family, and turn her back on newly awakened love. Thousands of lives hang in the balance in a battle that will set forth a new era.
Join Aeva on her quest to see whether she's got what it takes to go up against the most powerful humans ever created.