Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Nook Press Print! Nook in the Print-on-Demand Space

I just got an email from Nook Press informing me about their new print-on-demand service called Nook Press Print. I was previously selling Violet Storm on their platform (Nook Press) before I decided to make it Amazon exclusive so I could partake is some of the cool KDP Select's features. 


Photo from GeekWire

According to Nook Press Print: "Users can pick from a variety of materials and formats, including hardcover and softcover books, in a number of different sizes. Authors can get their texts published in full color or black and white, and select different paper materials." 

Back when I was researching the best self-publishing platform to go with, I had seriously considered Lightning Source. Unfortunately, there was a setup fee, something around $300. Ouch! CreateSpace just seemed so much simpler. No setup fee. Easy upload. And it looked to be an all around user-friendly platform. 


If I could do it all over again, I would probably go with Lightning Source because their platform is more appealing to bookstores (mostly due to their return policy). And self-publishing more than one novel (which I intended to), the one-time setup fee would have become nominal in the long-run. 

Back to Nook Press Print: it appears that they won't be a division of B&N for much longer as they have plans for branching off into their own company. 

This announcement of Nook Press Print comes at an interesting time with it being NaNoWriMo!
Read more on GeekWire

What do you, my fellow authors, think about this?





19 comments:

  1. I think....I don't really get it - but then, I haven't exactly been steeped in the world of self-publishing right now!! SO as always I really thank you for all of the words of wisdom and practical tips from the trenches. I bookmark so many of these posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I'm so glad my post last week found you at the right time!! I love that. That's why we write, isn't it? In the hopes that someone finds it at the right time, and it helps them in some way?

      Delete
    2. Yes. That post you wrote was totally uplifting. :D So glad to hear that these posts help! Sometimes I never know what to post that would be interesting and useful for people, so thanks for the feedback. xoxo

      Delete
  2. And another player enters the game. I don't know, if their printing quality rivals that of CreateSpace and Lightning Source, they may get a leg up in the market. It's going to be interesting to see how they do.

    Unleashing the Dreamworld

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riiight? It's so interesting! I think you're right, it's going to take some time for them to get as good at it as CreateSpace or Lightning Source. It'll be interesting to watch and read feedback from anyone who decides to publish through them.

      Delete
    2. Agreed. I'll definitely be watching.

      Delete
    3. Oh, did I mention I'm reading your book right now, and loving it?

      Delete
    4. Aww Crystal, that's so great to hear! :D Thanks for putting a huge smile on my face today!!

      Delete
  3. Looks like Lightning Source has competition. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? :) We'll see what the future holds for Nook Press Print!

      Delete
  4. There are so many options now, it's hard to know what is best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true that statement is. There's always that list of pro's and con's. But then I realize we'll probably hear less of something that's not working or hear just terrible, awful things about it that we wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. We'll see what the future looks like for Nook Press Print!

      Delete
  5. That looks really interesting, and I love that there are different formats! Generally I haven't had a say in which format my publisher uses, but in the end, the one that creates a book that's less expensive is the method I'd prefer, as no one's really willing to fork over for super expensive paperbacks these days (or, well, maybe I'm just poor and cheap ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, I'm late on my replies! I can't wait to be in a position where my publisher just handles it! LOL I am the same way when it comes to paperbacks and get heartbroken over the fact that some of them are as expensive as hardcovers. :( The cost of publishing these days.

      Delete
    2. So true! It's amazingly expensive, which just frustrates me, both as an author and owner of too many books! Thank heavens for the library!

      Delete
  6. At one time, Microsoft was thinking about buying the Nook. I guess they decided against it, but they were going to compete with Amazon with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that right? I guess B&N won that bid. Competition needs to exist in order for prices to remain competitive and for people to feel like they have options. We'll see how it all goes!

      Delete
  7. I just used CreateSpace for the first time recently and I'm very happy with the result. In fact, the same book had been published by a real publisher several years ago and I think it looks much better now with CreateSpace. Haven't used the other options, though, so I can't compare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa, I went with CreateSpace too and was very happy with the result. It's been incredibly user friendly and I'll likely go through them again for my next installment of the Modi Series. :)

      Delete

I love comments! Shoot me a message below!

ShareThis