Thursday, December 18, 2014

Books on Editing - What I'm Re-reading



Mr. Happy

Hi Friends!

The office was buzzing with excitement today. The holidays and the start of a glorious two-week shutdown is only a day away. I am so grateful for the firm's generosity. I don't talk about my full-time job much but it needs to be said: I couldn't have landed a better opportunity. It's been five months into my new job and all I can say is "wow."

No really.

I'm not one to just drink the company cool-aide so I can fit in--having always felt like a misfit, it would have been an easy thing to do--but quite honestly the high level of work, the fast-pace, the client relationships, and the company perks make this gig just right.

It's been a blessing to be able to take breaks in my writing and getting lost in another form of work that I can be equally passionate about. There are times where I want to keep writing and never stop, and tearful wishes that I had more energy after work to write, but most days it's a nice reprieve. (And a consistent paycheck does well to ease the artist conscience...)

Most of my writing is done on weekends. Uninterrupted 4-5 hours (sometimes 6-8!) lost in my fictional world. With the first draft of Snow Dolls complete, I've been waiting for a long vacation so I can dive into the editing with little to no interruption. Even with the holidays (*rolls eyes* I say that like I'm sad the holidays are intruding on my two-week vacation), I'm going to have the uninterrupted hours I need to focus.

In preparation, I'm rereading a few of my favorites books on writing:
  1. Thanks, But This Isn't For Us: The Compassionate Guide to Understanding What's Wrong with Your Writing
  2. Words That Fail Me: What Everyone Who Writes Should Know about Writing
  3. Self Editing for Fiction Writers
  4. How Not to Write a Novel
As you can guess from some of the titles, I enjoy reading the more humorous works on writing. It's serious stuff, but it doesn't need to feel like boring, painful homework. I actually remember the content in these books. These titles are filled with realistic expectations, soft (and some not-so-soft) chastisement, and a healthy dose of encouragement. Check out my other favorite writing books listed on my Goodreads shelf.

Happy aka Golden-eyed Surprise

In Other Awesome News...


Happy is the sweetest kitten, and we are definitely in love. We found out recently that the poor guy had Giardia, a pretty nasty parasite in his intestines which caused him to have terrible diarrhea--and likely the cause of his noxious, head-rearing farts. He's being treated for it now and we can't wait for it to be out of his system completely.

And speaking of my firm's generosity: they are multiplying all donations made this month by up to four times (4x). So I made a donation of $200 to Nine Lives Foundation (Happy's previous home), and am excited to see the possibility of them getting up to $800 in addition to my donation! Thanks for everyone who purchased a book a in November and December and made the donation to NLF even meatier. December's not over yet, so you can still help us add to the donation!

Hope you're having a wonderful holiday season! :)


Fitz wants to know if you got him something for Christmas. Preferably not another kitten. Because he's not convinced the last one was a kitten at all. He thinks we took home a small black squirrel which we refuse to allow him to eat.

Oh you didn't get him anything? He's going to check anyway. 

22 comments:

  1. I remember Giardia from when I fostered. Nasty stuff. I'm so glad you're liking your new job. And kudos for supporting the Nine Lives Foundation. You're a hero in my book. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Sandra! NLF is such a great foundation. I'm so glad we could support them! Happy is going in for his last round of meds today - so we're hoping he'll be fully recovered soon.

      Delete
  2. your babies are so beautiful!!! Love seeing pics of them! Not sure what my Penny had when I adopted her but man was she a sick little thing. Energetic as all get out, but had diarrhea, and a horrible hacking cough. She was on two different medications for it and thankfully cleared up in about two weeks. I hope Nine Lives gets a ton of money for all the wonderful work they do! And I'm so glad you love your job and get to get in good writing time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the support Beth! :) Seriously, I want to give you a huge hug! Hope you're having a wonderful holiday season. <3

      Delete
  3. Snow Dolls is such a lovely title. I don't know what it's about, but I want to read it just because the title sounds so good ;-)

    I want to read more books on writing, so thank you for the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Vanessa! And yes, I love the title, Snow Dolls. :) I can't wait to finish the book!

      Delete
  4. Your little guys are so cute!! And you take great pics of them, by the way :)

    I'm so glad your job is a good one!!! And that you have so much time off to chill, celebrate, and WRITE. It IS amazing to have that uninterrupted time.

    Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! :D Can't wait! Definitely counting down the hours... hahaha

      Delete
  5. Those look like some great writing books. Funny definitely makes it stick better! And great shots of the kitties--they are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so behind on my responses! LOL Yes, for me..the funnier the better. The dry stuff just feels too much like a text book.

      Happy New Years! :)

      Delete
  6. Happy has the shiniest coat. Hope your Sunday has been wondrous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, it's even shinier now!! :) Hope you had an amazing New Years!

      Delete
  7. Happy is so cute! We rescued a black 2 year old kitty three months ago and we love her so much. I named her Luna for moon in Spanish.
    It's nice to have day jobs we love. Although mine tends to pick at my nerves on certain occasions, I am thankful to have a good family to work for. I have been with them for 8 years now and watching the children grow up has been mind blowing. It's crazy how time flies.
    I hope you get all the writing and edits you need done over the break. I'm planning on catching up with some of my TBR during this break and then when we are in Costa Rica in January=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, black kitties need love. I recently found out that many of them don't get adopted because folks are a bit superstitious when it comes to black cats. :( When we learned this, we had it in mind to take one home from the shelter.

      And WOW. I am sooooo jealous that you're off to Costa Rica. We definitely need a vacation! LOL Hope you had a wonderful New Years!

      Delete
  8. There's nothing like having a job you love...glad you've found TWO jobs to love--your full-time one and writing! Hope you have a great holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how true that is, Stephanie! :) Hope you had a wonderful New Years!

      Delete
  9. Those writing books sound more like my thing, as I usually avoid them b/c they're so boring. But those do sound funny! I'm glad you like your day job so well, that's always a great thing. And your kitties are so glossy- they both look like they're taken well care of. I hope your editing is going smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Leandra, it makes it so much more enjoyable to read through them! The kitties definitely have a glossy coat. Not sure how that happened, but maybe it's because I'm always petting them whilst curled up with a book!

      Delete
  10. Writing books with humor... Yes, I should get into that. I've only read one of those, but I have so many others with dog-eared pages and scribbled notes. Here's to a productive 2015! (And seriously, get editing because I'M WAITING FOR BOOK 2!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely! There's nothing like reading in volume of actual fiction novels to help hone our craft, but writing books help change the pace a bit and allow me to understand a broader range of techniques. Ehhh...but mostly they're funny. LOL

      Delete
  11. That is one cool cat! I have yet to find an editing book that works for me, but it will find me someday.

    Happy New Year, Anna! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David!! :) Hope you had a fantastic New Years as well!

      Delete

I love comments! Shoot me a message below!

ShareThis