Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Burnout: It's Real



What I'm listening to on my podcast: Serial first released in Oct 2014, and has since been downloaded over 40 million times. It follows the case against Adnan Syed for the murder of popular high school senior, Hae Min Lee. Talk about gripping...









What I'm reading: Boy, does this book have punch! I find myself seriously enjoying it and learning a ton at the same time. Yay me! For those of you who want interesting material to help you become a better writer, check this book out! 











What movie I'm digging: Recommended by our friends, Kyle and I watched The Imitation Game this weekend, and wow. Just wow. The movie is about Alan Turing and how he cracked Enigma (the Nazi code) which everyone thought was unbreakable. Yes, Benedict Cumberbatch was incredible. And no, that wasn't the only reason I watched it...



So now, to my original post. Burnout is real. It exists. And it happens. I'm learning the consequences of that really fast. Finishing two massive stories in one year, launching my second career as an author, has left me with an empty motivation tank. The feeling of wanting to silently retreat into some cabin far away from civilization has become a recurring a fantasy. 

The way I combat burnout is by pulling away from the things that add more anxiety and stress, like social media. I take vacation from work and stay home to recharge, scheduling less social activities, becoming a lazy bear, and really getting to a point where I am bored again. Multi-tasking is a norm in our society. Having two jobs isn't uncommon for those of us with a creative outlet that doesn't necessarily align with our day-to-day jobs. So I leave you with these words: Listen to that nagging feeling that you're uncomfortably tired. Stop and relax. And definitely listen to when you're elated and energetic and want to do the millions of things you want to and then do them! But also give yourself permission to take a step back when that feeling goes away. You're not in a race with anyone but yourself, and when that finish line comes it will feel no less greater than it would have, had you finished just a tad bit sooner. 

What do you do when you need to rest and recharge? 

Happy says "Hi!"


13 comments:

  1. Oh man, it's so important to do this, and it's SO. FREAKING. HARD. TO. DO. Good for you for doing it. I'm a champ at overextending myself, and convincing myself I'll be JUST FINE, even if all of those signals are saying otherwise. I am working on it, though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't agree with you more. It is definitely hard. I'm learning to just say "f*ck this"--for now at least, and just enjoy my life. I'm right there with you!

      Delete
  2. Happy is so precious! and getting so big (it is crazy how fast these little ones grow!) "You're not in a race with anyone but yourself, and when that finish line comes it will feel no less greater than it would have, had you finished just a tad bit sooner." Yes! this! The way I recharge is to step back from the internet as well...I usually give myself the weekend to just read and watch TV. It helps a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ge is definitely getting big! Most of it is in his tummy though. LOL

      I do the same with my weekends. Just hole up, read, watch TV and throw chores out the window. Hah!

      Delete
  3. Taking a break sometimes is so important. I always feel so guilty when I do though! But after my last break, I've felt so rejuvenated and I'm actually enjoying writing again, which is what's most important. Finishing two huge stories in a year, plus releasing your book, no wonder you're a little burned out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that guilt you speak of! I'm glad you feel rejuvenated, and that's where I hope to be after my "short" break as well. I want to love what I'm working on, not hate it! :)

      Delete
  4. Taking a break is good. The important thing is getting back into it with renewed focus and energy.

    The past 2 months have been a struggle. The epiphany dawned on me. It was a reality check. Glass shattering and painful. As a daddy of 2-year old twins, a husband who is trying to be "Husband of the Year" every year, and moving up with the corporate career - it's just very difficult to focus on anything else. It's a First World Problem, I know.

    Of course, when I'm not writing, I'm always thinking about the novel. So that helps. Still painful. lol #WriterProblems But yes, when I take a break from writing, it's really just called spending time with loved ones and gaining inspiration for writing haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and for some reason, I couldn't login as anything else to comment... This is Mike Louie! :)

      Delete
    2. I figured it was you! :) Being a parent and a spouse is another job in and of itself. I spend a lot of time thinking about the future and what it would look like adding another level of commitment like a family. These are real problems to consider (and not in a negative way!). I'm absolutely certain that everything comes in due time as long as we have faith, and keep the dream alive in our hearts. LOL on the hashtag #writerproblems. Don't I know it!

      Delete
  5. The Imitation Game isn't playing in Montana and I am SO angry about that! I don't want to wait til it comes out on dvd or something. Sigh. And burnout. Yep, totally hear ya there. I am horrible about ignoring it, because I don't get a break from work, and writing is the thing I actually *like* doing, so I don't get an excuse for a break...or so goes my internal reasoning. But I definitely know I need breaks sometimes, it just takes my hair starting to fall out to do it (true story...and not a good one!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man :( It was SO good. Definitely worth to keep your eye out for when the dvd releases! I want to hear more about this hair falling out story. It's crazy that our bodies will literally begin changing in terrible ways if we are exposed to prolonged stress. I started getting eczema - which according to my dermatologist was the way my body was manifesting my stress. Yikes!

      Delete
  6. I wrote about Serial for an online magazine and it does sound fascinating. I need to give it a listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You must! It's good...I'm trying to catch up to season two which I'm so curious to learn more about.

      Delete

I love comments! Shoot me a message below!

ShareThis