Tuesday, March 3, 2015

IWSG: The Winter Blues

It's that time again! I missed last month's IWSG where writers post on the first Wednesday of the month to talk about our doubts and fears, struggles and triumphs, and offer encouraging words to our fellow writers. Click the link to see others participating.

For the past month I was struggling with a strong case of the winter blues. It happens every year in varying degrees, and for some reason, it still manages to surprise me. I have a hard time finding energy and motivation and I struggle with isolation (which I perpetuate by clearing my social calendar). I suspect it has to do with the abrupt end of the long, festive holiday season, the lack of sunny days, and the increased workload.

This is a problem. It interferes with the day-to-day joy I should feel in life.

To protect myself, I had unknowingly become emotionally detached, with no prejudice for both good or bad experiences. I am simply numb. For example, I recently finished writing my latest novel and despite the glowing feedback from my beta readers and the pride I should feel over my accomplishment, I felt...neutral. And that bothers me. I literally had to sit and ponder over the emotion that I know I should be feeling, but didn't.

Last week, I decided that I'd had enough. The way to combat a case of the blues is multi-faceted and can be complex depending on its severity. A few things include: meditation and mindfulness exercises, increased physical activity, more minutes under the sun, change in diet (more omega-3's), social interactions, and more sleep. This is what I committed to and so far, everything is going just as planned.

Five days into my regimen and I feel like a powerhouse, ready to take on the world.

I encourage anyone else who suffers from the occasional blues to seek resources and speak to a professional to help and find something that works for you! You don't have to be alone in this experience. :)

In Other News:

  • I was nominated for the "Very Inspiring Blogger Award" by the equally inspiring blogger, Liz Blocker! Thank you my lovely, smart, and crack-whip wordsmith fellow blogger! I'll have to do a full post renomination to some of my favorite inspirational blogs, but I wanted to give a shout-out to Liz for the awesome surprise! 
  • Crimson Earth progress: Fans, I wrote the first scene with Ruven and Aeva. Definitely squeee worthy. For those of you who are new to the blog, Crimson Earth is the second book of the Modi Series. Check out the first book here

Throwback video to when Fitz fit in a shoe...


Now he's big enough for bow ties...and too cool for the camera. 

20 comments:

  1. Winter blue tend to find its way into our home as well. I think this is why winter is my most productive season for writing. Gives me something to do besides TV and takes me to different places. Diet is a bigger role than I even thought. :)

    Thanks for visiting my post today, and sorry it was incomplete. I had reasons. It's updated now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll revisit your blog, my curiosity is certainly piqued! LOL And yes, I completely agree. What a difference diet makes. I'm hoping to cut down on carbs and eat a lot more veggies and fruits. So far so good!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, he is getting so big! What a handsome guy. I can't believe he let you put a bow tie on him ;)

    you are so welcome! it was much deserved, and this post is a good illustration of why. it's honest and heartfelt, and still practical and helpful. I'm so glad things are looking up for you, and I admire so much how you are pulling yourself out of the winter blues. You are NOT alone!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be fooled by his impressive glare, he let's me dress him up however I want. LOL He has definitely grown so much and I miss his tiny face.

      Thanks again for the nomination!! It's been a tough winter, but I'm so glad to be climbing out from the funk. :)

      Delete
  3. Bow ties!! That's just too cute :) And I hear ya on the winter blues. We've had a lot of nice days this winter (for once), but it's still cold and I can't wait for spring like it's a family member I haven't seen in too long. Bring on warmer temps and running outside!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the description. Definitely ready to embrace the heat and lounge around by the pool or beach. It's been a cold winter and boy am I ready for those long, summer days. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm happy you have renewed energy. I've been allowing myself to slip into the abyss and need to snap out of it. Thankfully it's March 4 and hopefully only a few more weeks of this very cold and looooong winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna! And yes...only a few more weeks. I remembered that Daylight Savings hits this weekend and though, I'm not ready to lose an hour of sleep, I'm certainly ready for a change in season. Haha!

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh, Fitz was so cute and look at that doll baby now....I love his bow tie picture. Belle's head popped up when she heard you say Kitty:) Glad you're working on Crimson.....also happy you've found a way to deal with the blues. Thanks for sharing your strategy. I think everything you mentioned is important especially exercising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! He's grown so much. I miss his tiny face. :) And I completely agree with you - exercising has played a huge part. It's important to make it a daily activity.

      Delete
  6. Cute cat.
    Good for you for making some changes. When you fall into a dull rut, you have to change some things up. Or go experience something new to get that energy back. Glad you have it again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Argh! I can't handle him in that bow tie- too adorable. Sorry...dapper. ;) Glad you're working your way out from under the blues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, he is both adorable and dapper, and certainly has the personality of a grumpy teenager (he's about 9 months old at this point). :)

      Delete
  8. Glad to hear that the actions you've taken have helped your health :)
    Suzanne
    IWSG Co-host in March :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne! :) I'll stop by your blog shortly!

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh, Anna! Fitz is super adorable! I love how playful he is. What a gorgeous little kitty=)
    You know something, you are not alone my dear. I have been so tired and miserable, other than my school visits. I thought it was my day job but to be honest, I really think it's this nasty, frigid, cold weather. I feel like we have been locked up since early December. And now, it's the first week of March and we had yet another dangerous snow storm. So dangerous that a commercial airplane crashed right before landing at La Guardia airport in NY!!
    I have no motivation to go to the gym which makes me really depressed because I love working out and running outside. The less than 0 degree mornings haven't helped and my bones and toes and fingers are always cold. Who can possibly be happy in this??
    And when it affects our writing, that's when there MUST be a change. I am thinking about going tanning at my gym for a few times a week just to get some fake sun and warmth. More rest and less stress to get us through these last couple of weeks of winter blues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Gina, thank you for the kind and heartfelt words. I had heard about the plane crash in NY!! :( I'm headed out to the east coast next week and praying that there are no storms in the near future.

      I think the season has definitely left me unmotivated to go to the gym. Yay for you for running outside! I used to run more often, but nowadays it's SOO hard to get me to go. :) I'm sure it will take just a little more patience and practice to get past the miserable pain and to the "feel-good" running rhythm. I think a little sun tanning would definitely help! If they have that at your gym, that is definitely a perk to take advantage of (at least in the winter). :)

      Delete
  10. That bowtie is adorable. (Fitz).

    I'm sorry you were feeling the winter blues, but it looks like the sun has emerged. I go through that every once in a while where I went to step out of life, in a while and just be. Then I'm in my quiet corner for so long I get depressed. The way to fix it is simply by stepping back into life. Hang out with friends. See a movie. Have fun. Glad you're back here with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my freaking God, I cannn'ttt....he is SO stinking cute!!!!!!! and I hear you, I've had the worst case of the winter blues!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Shoot me a message below!

ShareThis