Monday, April 6, 2015

There's a Hoopla-tta Things Going On!

Why hello there! :) The last couple of weeks have been a whirlwind of activity. Here's whats been going on!
  • The Violet Storm troop (which is essentially me and VS cover artist slash boyfriend-of-the-century, Kyle Van Meurs) will be headed to the YA Author Hoopla at Books Inc. Opera Plaza in San Francisco on Saturday, May 9th. Hosted by Not Your Mother's Book Club, this awesome event is bringing together YA authors to gather and celebrate with YA genre readers!
  • My latest novel, Snow Dolls is basically in holy-querying-mode purgatory. Yes...that is my entire experience summed up. Querying has been both joyful and heartbreaking. If it wasn't, well then, I should be worried. But right now, it's mostly all positive. There are two amazing agents reviewing the full manuscript. I'm waiting to hear back from a few more agents, so this is good news indeed. It's the anxiety, I tell you. It's a killer. 
  • Have you heard of the Meetup group, Shut Up & Write? They're in quite a few cities and in various coffee shops. There might be one near you, so definitely check them out! The premise is simple: you catch up for the first fifteen minutes, be pleasant, say hello, and then you shut up and write for an hour or more. It's my second week with the group and I'm sold. Just the right kind of focused environment I needed. Here's to getting Crimson Earth (Book II of the Modi Series) done in no time!
  • Ever heard of Pilates Reformer? I recently joined a club to get my tiny butt back into hopefully-less-tiny-but-still-awesomely-cuter-shape. And now I am officially addicted. It's been a great way to de-stress. We are headed to Maui in two months to celebrate this little one's big 3-0 birthday. Gulp. The anxiety attack and existential crisis will be beaten back by very delicious Mai Tai's. 
  • Finally, have you seen these amazing coloring books (for adults) by Johanna Basford? I can get lost in the beauty of coloring in these books for hours. Seriously. Not only can I catch up on all seven seasons of Grey's Anatomy, but watch me do it and color at the same time!



I bought both copies: Secret Garden and the Enchanted Forest!

That's Johanna creating her bestselling coloring books. 
So that's probably a good amount of updates for now. Love you lots, and if you haven't already, don't forget to check out the most recent episode of Code Name: Ghost

Happy asks that you rub the nearest cat's tummy. Cus' they like that. 

27 comments:

  1. Lots of awesomeness!! I so wish I were living back in Cali, because I love that bookstore and that sounds like such a fun event :) And I hear ya on the holy-querying-mode purgatory--sums things up just right! Good luck with that, and finishing book 2!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first time at the Books Inc. Opera branch! I'm so excited (and of course nervous as heck). And as for the querying - we're definitely on the same, nauseating boat. LOL Wishing you all the luck and success!

      Delete
  2. Wow! You've got all kinds of good stuff going on. I've heard of those adult coloring books and am anxious to try them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, they have been so much fun. I get lost in the activity for hours! I haven't been able to get lost in reading books, because reading has felt like "work" as I "study" styles etc. for my own writing. So these coloring books have been a blessing. I didn't think they could be so therapeutic, but sure enough I'm coloring away for hours at a time.

      Delete
  3. Crossing my fingers for you that one of those agents takes you on.

    No kitty in sight. It'll have to be a dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria! Just got another request for a full last night after publishing this blog - so I'm hoping the odds are favorable that someone will enjoy it and want to represent it. Such a nerve-wracking process. But it's worth it. And yes, doggies love belly rubs too! ;)

      Delete
  4. Crossing my fingers for you that one of those agents takes you on.

    No kitty in sight. It'll have to be a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shut Up and Write sounds perfect for me. I'll check 'em out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Tomorrow is my next Meetup and I'm looking forward to it. It's always hard to go right after work and immediately change gears, but I'm hoping with a little practice, it will get easier. :)

      Delete
  6. Stay strong during the querying process. It's a meat grinder for sure. And I"ve been reading about these coloring books for adults. I know some people that de-stress by coloring, so I guess it's marketed to those people too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Jay! Those coloring books are so beautiful. I really have enjoyed them. :)

      Delete
  7. You've sent me all over the web this evening, Anna. Even had to launch my OneNote. (Never checked out Meetup before.) Got my fingers cross for you regarding Snow Dolls.

    P. S. Isis wants to see more of Happy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I'm not sure if I should apologize? Hope there's a Meetup nearby for you!

      First time I've heard of OneNote, instantly made me think of Evernote. And Isis would be looking at a smaller version of herself in Happy. I'll try to put more pics of him for her viewing pleasure. ;)

      Delete
    2. I have Evernote and OneNote both on my phone and OneNote on my PC too. I kinda prefer OneNote, but they both have their strengths. Oddly enough, neither is on my tablet. I'll keep Isis sedated until she gets her Happy fix. :)

      Delete
    3. I'll have to check out OneNote. Just loved the idea that Evernote is accessible on all my devices (which sounds like OneNote can do too!). And LOL about ISIS. Happy is delighted to have online kitty-friend. ;)

      Delete
  8. So much good stuff!!! Fingers are definitely crossed for you and Snow Dolls :) And Pilates is awesome - the mat classes kick my (unfortunately flat-ish) butt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Girl you're a runner! I want that kind of motivation. ;) Thanks for all the encouragement!!

      Delete
  9. Wishing you the absolute best on those full requests! And that event in San Francisco sounds like a blast. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David!! I'm crossing my fingers that I don't get too anxious about the SF event and do something silly...like hide or feign illness....LOL

      Delete
  10. I love pilates!! and Maui--I used to go for fam vacations as a teen. It is GORGEOUS. I have to recommend Cheeseburger in Paradise in Lahaina! I don't eat meat anymore, but when I did I loved their burgers (they had other delish stuff too if you don't eat meat!) ...Danielle Fishel (Topanga from Boy Meets World) did a column way back when for Sixteen Magazine I used to love, and she raved about it, and it lived up to the hype lol...so now I tell everyone to go there. Granted it was like 17 years ago but I'm sure it's still good :P hang in there with the querying, it gets easier! And Happy is precious as always <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Another Pilates buddy! ;) Haven't been to Maui in many years myself. Looking for the gorgeous scenery and much needed R&R! I'll have to check out that Cheeseburger. I used to love Boy Meets World. Recently, I finished Gilmore Girls...gave me the same "feels" LOL

      And yes, praying the Querying gets easier. :*) cuz' that's me most days...waiting and staring at my inbox.

      Delete
  11. Wow, all kinds of good info. Have fun at the conference:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a lot of good news. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Hoopla sounds like lots of fun. I adore author/book events. Take a few pics for us, pretty please... =) I turn 31 in two months. You'll survive 30, I promise. Beating it back with good food and drinks is a great idea, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, those coloring books look gorgeous. As for Grey's Anatomy, I recently finished watching the 10th season on Netflix and am now in withdrawal and wishing they hadn't put the demise of one of the characters in the freakin' newspaper! Grrr.

    As for rubbing a cat's tummy, I am so, so tempted when my 17-pound ball of fluff lays on his back with his little paws curled just so. But I know he would claw my hand to bits if I tried.

    Turning 30 is easy. Wait 'til middle age creeps up on you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great update! Also wondering if you're participating in the #IWSG today? I came a lookin'.... Lisa, co-host #IWSG, @ http://www.lisabuiecollard.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cool coloring books. I hope the convention was beyond amazing and that you sold a TON of books. Now I'm off to check out that writing group link...not that I could do it with a newborn, but hey, I can dream, right?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Shoot me a message below!

ShareThis