Monday, December 28, 2015

Monday Mishmash 12/28/15



My first Monday Mishmash! I recently found out via Medeia Sharif's blog that this fun theme is hosted by Kelly Hashway. I'd been seeing the topic floating around the blogosphere this past year and thought I'd join in on the fun. What a great way to kick off the week! Coincidentally, it's the last Monday of the year...crazy. Just plain crazy how time flies.

So here's what I'm up to:


  1. Crimson Earth released this month and I'm continuously working on promo materials and editorial reviews. As you've heard across all industries, marketing is tough and can be costly in both time and money. The old adage, "Build it (or in my case, write it) and they will come" is simply not true--at least in the self-publishing realm. Thus I'm looking for more cost-effective ways to promote without having to throw a money in the wind where it might land nowhere. 
  2. Winter Cleaning: Every year, I like to do a big cleaning sprint and declutter. I go through my closet and every nook and cranny of the apartment to find things that I don't need anymore and and can donate. 
  3. Reading: I haven't been reading as much as I'd like to, but I hope to finish at least one book before my holiday break ends. Right now I'm engrossed in #GIRLBOSS by entrepreneur, Sophia Amoruso. 
  4. Fresh Air: Yes, I literally wrote that in my to-do list for this week. LOL. I don't get out enough. And when I do, it's always to run errands or to accomplish a task. I want to enjoy the outdoors and commit time on my calendar to do so. I'm on the second week of my two-week break and I'm only just beginning to unwind. :) 
  5. Editing: And of course, what writer isn't writing/editing? I'm going back to another of my finished novels to do a major scrub. One huge task is changing the POV. This 100,000+ word novel is going to be a monster to edit but if there's anything I learned during this break, it's that time is my friend. I don't have a deadline, so I'm going to pace myself so that I get this novel done right. Then it's off to hunt for an agent. Earlier this year, I queried 30+ agents; 6 asked to see the full, and 5 asked to see a partial. I got some tough but important feedback, and my gut tells me that I'm on to something with this story--it simply needs more work. Wish me luck! 
Hope you guys had a wonderful Christmas/Holiday celebration!

Happy reading, 
Anna 



For a limited time, Violet Storm, Book One of the Modi Series is 99 cents! Check it out!



15 comments:

  1. I need to declutter. I'm lazy though. I don't seem to get much energy until the good weather kicks in and then watch out.

    I've been reading a lot. I so enjoy my time spent in a good book.

    Have a fabulous day and a very happy and prosperous New Year. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining in with Monday Mishmash! Good luck with your edits. And I think we all need a reminder for fresh air. I know I tend to hole myself up in my office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to declutter too but today I am focused on finishing a long running freelance job that just...I'll be glad when it is done. I am going to the movies tomorrow so that will be my fresh air. Congrats on Crimson Earth and I am kind of book surfing right now between three books, one of them an erotica collection I won from a Facebook event. Oh yes the editing process, every important. Happy Holidays and New Year Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, you're decluttering your house and your novel? That works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I'm getting fresh air it's because I'm doing yard work...
    There are ways to market without throwing money. Hope you find lots of those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you have a busy, but productive break! I hope you get some good fresh air and editing done. I'm attempting to balance family, catching up on work, and a ton of travel, in my 5 weeks off (thank you Montana for long winter breaks!). I know I'm going to run out of time still, as my to-do list is pages long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had fresh air by doing groceries:) So great that you can declutter. I keep trying but it seems to only get bigger:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admire your attempts at decluttering on an annual basis. I never quite get around to that, although I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm also decluttering. It seems neverending. I made myself get fresh air by taking a walk on Monday. This is the first Christmas break in which I haven't been out too much because during this one I'm fast drafting. It's great you joined Monday Mishmash. It's a wonderful way to share what we've been up to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post! I love that you put fresh air on your list. I recently read that we don't put things like: relax, read a book, etc. on our lists and we should because they are even more important than our chores. :)

    Good luck with your marketing and book promotions!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  11. Toes crossed (fingers firmly planted on the keyboard) for all your endeavors. You're a talented writer and will get where you want to be. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Monday Mishmash is a fun topic! Good luck with the editing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Someone has been busy. Is always good and I find therapeutic to have a good sort out. Only thing is, on taken things to the charity shop I always seem to find more things I simply MUST have.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fresh air, yes please! I'm excitedly looking forward to reading Crimson Earth, once I've gotten through one or two more of my TBR list books. There are certain series that just stick out in the mind and you subconsciously count down the days until you can get back to them. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you're keeping busy. I hope the promo for your new book really kicks off! I haven't been able to read much of anything lately, and I think it's starting to get to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Shoot me a message below!

ShareThis