My first Monday Mishmash! I recently found out via Medeia Sharif's blog that this fun theme is hosted by Kelly Hashway. I'd been seeing the topic floating around the blogosphere this past year and thought I'd join in on the fun. What a great way to kick off the week! Coincidentally, it's the last Monday of the year...crazy. Just plain crazy how time flies.
So here's what I'm up to:
- Crimson Earth released this month and I'm continuously working on promo materials and editorial reviews. As you've heard across all industries, marketing is tough and can be costly in both time and money. The old adage, "Build it (or in my case, write it) and they will come" is simply not true--at least in the self-publishing realm. Thus I'm looking for more cost-effective ways to promote without having to throw a money in the wind where it might land nowhere.
- Winter Cleaning: Every year, I like to do a big cleaning sprint and declutter. I go through my closet and every nook and cranny of the apartment to find things that I don't need anymore and and can donate.
- Reading: I haven't been reading as much as I'd like to, but I hope to finish at least one book before my holiday break ends. Right now I'm engrossed in #GIRLBOSS by entrepreneur, Sophia Amoruso.
- Fresh Air: Yes, I literally wrote that in my to-do list for this week. LOL. I don't get out enough. And when I do, it's always to run errands or to accomplish a task. I want to enjoy the outdoors and commit time on my calendar to do so. I'm on the second week of my two-week break and I'm only just beginning to unwind. :)
- Editing: And of course, what writer isn't writing/editing? I'm going back to another of my finished novels to do a major scrub. One huge task is changing the POV. This 100,000+ word novel is going to be a monster to edit but if there's anything I learned during this break, it's that time is my friend. I don't have a deadline, so I'm going to pace myself so that I get this novel done right. Then it's off to hunt for an agent. Earlier this year, I queried 30+ agents; 6 asked to see the full, and 5 asked to see a partial. I got some tough but important feedback, and my gut tells me that I'm on to something with this story--it simply needs more work. Wish me luck!
Hope you guys had a wonderful Christmas/Holiday celebration!
|For a limited time, Violet Storm, Book One of the Modi Series is 99 cents! Check it out!|