Sunday, February 7, 2016

Fangirling: Gilmore Girls Revival

Can I just fangirl for a moment?

Months ago, I'd heard faint murmurs of a Gilmore Girls revival. At the time, all I felt was a moderate flicker of excitement. Like most people, I don't like getting my hopes up only to have them crushed when the truth comes out.

So anyway, I thought grudgingly, Probably just another rumor. Because as awesome as it sounded, it had been ages since the last season, and since then, Edward Herrmann had left us. So even if they did do a revival - how will the show ever be the same? No doubt not all of the actors would be available or even interested in coming back. So I hung onto the pessimistic idea, which had the effect I intended: it kept me from getting my hopes up.


Then in the last week or so, it was officially announced! Huzzah!

There is definitely a revival, and Netflix will be airing four movie-length episodes (90 minutes each). The episodes are titled by season: Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall.


Now, of all the Stars Hallow regulars, I'm hoping they'll bring back Jared Padalecki (Dean Forester--deep sigh), the first of Rory's boyfriend's. What those two had was so innocent and amusingly adorable (well, you know...until Dean got married while he was still in love with Rory...juicy right?). Anyway, it all started out as all plots do: simple and then tumbling downhill hitting rocks, crevices, and shrubbery along the way. It was gut-wrenching. You wanted to root for them, but in the end they were headed in different directions. Rory's path would take her away from Stars Hallow, studying at Yale, and leading a budding career as a kick-ass journalist. But if you want more reasons as to why he's my fave, just read this list. (Hint: that last line, "He encouraged her dreams." **melts**)



Why all the fan-girling you ask? I don't know when it really clicked for me. As an older millennial, Gilmore Girls aired during my early teens. I could have watched it then but I didn't. Superhero shows were more my thing (remember Smallville?), and at the time, this series just screamed regular ol' drama.

But early last year, I was going through another heavy travel season for work. I was far away from California (again), spending consecutive nights at a hotel in the middle of winter, and I ached for the comforts of home. Gilmore Girls filled that bleak hole. The storyline was juicy, compounding in complexity, filled with mother and daughter love and triumph, neighborly compassion, and all of it happening in an intimate town that made you dream to live there. (The show is most renowned for its dialogue. It really is brilliantly written.)

The intro song, Where You Lead, comes to mind whenever I'm traveling. I equate the feeling this series gives me to a good book I want to return to time and time again.

Where you lead, I will follow 
Anywhere that you tell me to 
If you need, you need me to be with you

I will follow where you lead

If you're out on the road 

Feeling lonely, and so cold 
All you have to do is call my name 
And I'll be there on the next train 



And with that...I can't wait to jump back into Stars Hallow!



What about you? Do you have a favorite(s) TV series?

Love, love, and more love, ~A


New to my blog? Check out some of my other work
Plus the release of my latest book: Crimson Earth


32 comments:

  1. I can't wait for this revival. My roommate and I used to have a standing appointment to watch the new episodes every week and I'm so excited to see what they do with it. I hope they bring back Jess because I just loved how he grew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Jess was also a great character. Lots of growth with that bad boy. I love that you and your roommate had a standing appt to watch the episodes. LOL

      Delete
  2. When my daughter was born, we'd watch reruns and I'd sing the theme song to her. It's our song. So happy to see the series return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea. I may do the same in the future! ;)

      Delete
  3. I haven't watched this one and I have Netflix. Perhaps I'll give it a try.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth giving it a try, Sandee! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I'm hoping she will end up with Logan, he was the right one for her, although after her leaving to serve that ebil witch Clinton, I don't really care about Rory anymore :) They've announced today that Paris is returning too! Remember her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Logan was the one who encouraged her to take time off of school, and all-around didn't seem compatible. I guess, I still saw her as the small-town gal who needed a low-key kind of guy who could really help build something great with her. Not to say that was Dean, but Logan just seemed off the mark.

      Great to hear about Paris returning! Woot!

      Delete
  5. This has been on my queue for ages but I've never managed to watch it. As you said, as an older millennial, it just didn't strike me right when I was younger. But I've had it recommended to me so many times that one of these days I'm going to watch it. But for now, I'm enjoying the X-Files revival for all that I can (even though so far it's letting me down a bit...sigh).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth a look! I think you'd enjoy it a lot. There are plenty of seasons, which may make it a little daunting at first, but then I got hooked and was happy for the long runway. Hah!

      My fiancee and I are watching the X-Files revival too! We're on the same page about excitement--(whomp whomp...) Definitely hoping they can improve on the next episode. I guess I expected them to take a little more risks (and spend a little more $$ on filming LOL).

      Delete
  6. I'm older than you, but I still loved Gilmore Girls. Watched it when it was on.

    In casting news, Melissa McCarthy said she wasn't invited back, so no Sookie. Jared Padalecki... You know he's kinda busy on Supernatural, right? It'd be nice if he could return, but I'm kinda doubting it. (That's one of the reasons he got written out near the end--he was busy on another show.

    Matt Czuchry has been cast, though, so Logan is back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( Yeah - heard about Sookie. Bummer on Jared! I think Supernatural is finishing up (or just concluded their last season). I need to get back on that series as well. I guess for me, there didn't feel like a lot of progression in the series.

      Glad to hear about Logan! I wonder what they have planned!! So exciting!

      Delete
  7. Hi Sweetie,
    Yup, the revival should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried watching it on Netflix a couple of years ago...I never could get into it. I think I would have loved it as a teen, though! I only watched the first two episodes. I couldn't quite grab onto a plot. Maybe I'm missing something? I'd love to get into it because I'm always looking for great shows on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth another try!! It took me a little bit to get absorbed because it wasn't my typical go-to kind of show. Might take a few more episodes for you as well. But then it's a hoot!

      Delete
  9. This isn't a show I watched, but it's cool how they are reviving so many old ones now. And doing them well. (Like X-Files.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you enjoying the X-Files revival? There are definitely some elements I've enjoyed seeing again, but I did wish they upped the product budget/quality. LOL

      Delete
  10. Hope your day has been productive and pleasant, Anna:)
    Are you still traveling a lot with your job?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra! Yep - though much slower than the last season. I've got a trip coming up in a couple weeks . Spending the weekend at a Rochester visiting RIT. :)

      Delete
  11. I've never seen this show, but I've been meaning to. I'm older than you, so there are other feel-good shows I have in mind from my youth. I know that type of excitement, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Law and Order is life. I know I'm a fantasy gal but before I went full fantasy in my teens I was a contemporary gal and television wise that has not changed. Though The Librarians and Once Upon a Time do give me my fantasy television fix. Glad this news makes you Happy Anna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I can go on an LaO marathon for days....it's bad. I have to check out The Librarians! I do enjoy Once Upon a Time and lots of other newer more "adult" shows. You would probably enjoy Pretty Little Liars and Teen Wolf (I certainly do!)

      Delete
  13. LOL! I didn't see it way back in the day either. I actually started watching it last year when my hubby was away for an overnight. (My daughter and I started it together.) I LOVED the dialog, but as much as I did, it didn't win me over. Sadly, I'm still more of a superhero kind of viewer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How cool that you just got into the show in the past couple years and fell in love with it. So exciting that they are having a few more episodes. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never seen the show, but I think my best friend enjoyed it. I totally went nuts over Galavant though. The first season was only 8 episodes and second season was 10. The entire series is like 6 hours long. I doubt they'll renew it for a third season. But the humor so matches mine and I adore musicals. I still burst into song with season one's opening theme.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've seen a few episodes and loved them, but never fully got into the series, which is SO odd. My mom owns all the box sets and I'm always saying i'll watch them. Like I said, I've loved what I've seen so it's a mystery to me why I never sat down and absorbed myself in it. Actually, I think I know why. I have a thing about hour long shows lol. I have a very short attention span and tend to stick with things that are half hour (unless it's a show like American Idol or The Voice, which I can watch 2 hours straight no problem. Ah, the rules according to Beth lol. I'm weird, I know! My fav shows are as follows: Full House (brings back so many memories! Though I'm not watching The Netflix revival), Friends, and old classics like I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, etc. I also adore King of Queens, Everybody Loves Raymond, and for current shows I am all about The Middle and The Goldbergs! Modern Family is good too but I'm not as religious about watching it as the others. Of course I have an affinity for late night shows since I worked for them, and I try to catch Conan and Fallon when I can, and I also love the new guy, James Cordon. Sorry for the thesis haha I LOVE TV and could talk about it for hours!

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of the series to have made its way across the pond that I could either take or leave. Its wonderful that your hopes of new episodes weren't dashed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! You haven't blogged in awhile either! Now I don't feel so bad. LOL.
    You know what I've been through with my writing hiatus, but it's good to come back and visit with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! You haven't blogged in awhile either! Now I don't feel so bad. LOL.
    You know what I've been through with my writing hiatus, but it's good to come back and visit with everyone.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Shoot me a message below!

ShareThis